Tuesday, March 7, 2017

SHOPPING OUR STASH #293 - All That It's Cracked Up To Be



Good morning friends and welcome. 
This week at SHOPPING OUR STASH, we are challenging you to
use crackle paste or a crackle technique on your card or project!
For my project, I created an art journal page.
(You might want to get your favorite beverage, because this is a
photo heavy post!)


I based my page on this art journal page by Tracy Weinzapfel. Thanks Tracy! I recently
won some of Tracy's stamps and so (instead of hoarding them, like I usually do), 
I used one of the sets, called Heart Swirls & Doodles. Now, if you watch her video, you'll 
notice that she has pretty much every color of paint bottles on her back wall. (so jealous!),
Me? Not so much. In fact, most of the colors I used on this page, I mixed, because I only have 
about 15 colors of paint. LOL!

Here are the colors I used:
(a complete supplies list is at the bottom of my post)


I started off by first going over the page with Gesso and dried it with my heat gun. Then I mixed black and white paint to get a dark grey and added that. Again, heat gun to dry.
Next I took a little bit of Blue Harbor and a couple drips of Kelly Green and mixed that with
my crackle paste, and painted that on. I left that to dry naturally overnight. 
(Of course, I forgot to take pictures of those two steps.)

Ok, so instead of boring you any more with my blabbering,
I'm just gonna bombard you with a bunch of process photos,
(that I did take pictures of):





I stamped the hearts, then painted them. Once the paint dried (by heat gun), I re-stamped
the images, not caring if I didn't line them up exactly again, because,
this is ART people! LOL! I went over the lines with F-C black Artist Pitt pen to 
darken them. I used a black Prismacolor pencil and Fantastix to
blend the shadow around the hearts. Added shading and highlights.




I stamped the sentiment onto some scrap paper, painted over it with some watered down
rust and turquoise paints, hit it with the heat gun, edged it with brown ink,
and adhered with Multi Medium. Hit it with the heat gun again, and went around it
with the Fantastix for some shading.


I cleaned up a bit before taking these shots, but yeah,
this is my happy place!



One last shot:



I hope that you step outside your comfort zone and try using crackle paste, or 
a crackle technique, and link up your project at Shopping Our Stash! We'd love to see it.
Looking for more ideas? Then check out what the SOS Crew, and our new Guest Designer,
Wendy Townsend, have created to inspire you. 

You made it to the end! Thanks for visiting. Have a great day!


I'd like to enter this at:

 


Supplies:
Stamps: Dare 2B Artzy/Totally Tracy stamps - Heart Swirls & Doodles
Ink: Staz On - Jet Black; Memento - Rich Cocoa
Accessories: Strathmore art journal; Golden - Gesso; Deco Art - Media Crackle paste & Multi Medium; Deco Art Media Acrylic paints - carbon black, titanium white, cadmium red hue, primary yellow; Deco Art Americana acrylic paints - blue harbor, kelly green, irish moss, dark chocolate; Ranger Adirondack acrylic paint daubers - stream, terra cotta; various paint brushes & sponge brush; water mister; Faber Castell - black fine Artist PITT pen; Prismacolor pencil - black; Fantastix; baby wipes; paper towels; heat gun

8 comments:

  1. OMGoodness this is fabulous, I so want to attempt a journal page. Great use of your pictures and your instructions. Awesome page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I zoomed and was not disappointed!: that crackled background is just full of textured goodness! The colors are just perfect-- I'm so glad it wasn't covered up! Cool way to do your hearts, too (stamp, paint, stamp). Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Chris, I love the beautiful worn look of this gorgeous background, the small cracks and lines among this beautiful colors look amazing.
    Love the bright hearts, just so beautiful and they really pop against the soft colors on the background.
    I watched the video you shared and I love the way she did the technique, very cool.
    Awesome journal page.
    Hugs,
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sistah this couldn't be more awesome!
    The colours, the textures, all that crackled goodness!
    You rocked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So 15 colours is about three times as many as me. :D This is gorgeous, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an absolute masterpiece Chris. Simply awesome. One day I will do this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sooooooooooooooooo incredibly beautiful! i want to go play in my sketchbook RIGHT NOW!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading them!

adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.