Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Shopping Our Stash #148 - Happy Earth Day!


Good morning peeps! I hope all that celebrated Easter had a very joyous day with their family and friends! 

Today though, we celebrate Earth Day! So this week at SHOPPING OUR STASH we challenge you to make a card or project that uses something that is upcycled or recycled! I'm not gonna lie, I had a hard time trying to figure out what to do with this challenge. But I squeaked my project in just at the 11th hour. For real. ☺ Here, check it:


Here's the inside:

Did you figure out what I used? Yeah, it's tough so I'll tell ya. The flowers are made from coffee filters (clean ones!) and I recycled an old cork coaster to die cut the oval frame. Here's a couple pictures as proof. LOL!

               

I almost didn't have anything made for this challenge, because my first attempt at the roses was an epic failure. But Leslie cheered me on and said "You can do it!" So, after dinner (and a couple glasses of wine), I tried it again, and Wa-lah! I stumbled upon an excellent way to roll the petals: Use a quilling tool! Not only did it come in handy to wind up the flowers nice and tight, but I also used it to roll back all. the. petals. Oh, and see that satin ribbon I used? It's older than my marriage. (23 years next month!) It was left over from the table arrangements I made for the reception hall tables! How about THAT for shopping my stash! LOL! 

So, are you up for this challenge? I double dog dare you! Don't forget to link up your card or project at SHOPPING OUR STASH, and while you're there, check out all the amazing creations that my teammates made! You will be blown away! Thanks for hanging out with me and I hope you have a fabulous day! Stay crafty my friends!

Chris
Supplies:
Stamps: Hero Arts - Celebrate Everyday
Ink: Simon Says Stamp - Lavender
DP: MME - The Sweetest Thing
CS: Recollections
Accessories: Coffee filters; old cork coaster; Grand Calibur; Classic ovals Lg. Nesties; MFT - Rolled Rose Die-Namics; Lawn Fawn - Stitched Leaves die; Tattered Angels - Spring Violet, Cherub Pink, & Meadow Green Glimmer Mists; MME - Enamel Dots; AC - Thickers; Ribbon from my stash
Adhesives: SA by 3L - MyStik permanent; Ranger - Glossy Accents; Helmar 450 glue


9 comments:

  1. Awesome card, beautiful flowers. super tip about the quilling tool, and yes I have one too. haven't quilled in a while either. Never tried coffee filter flowers but it's on my long list of must tries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm g;ad yu stuck with it - those fleurs are FAB-U-LOUS! And ribbon from your wedding?! You win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally AMAZING! those roses are awwwwwwwwwwwesome!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. You still had ribbon from your wedding? SCORE. I wish I'd kept some of that stuff but that was pre-hoarder :) lol! And for an 11th hour project, holy carp, girl, it does NOT look it. Those flowers are stunning! (Mildly disappointed that you didn't re-use the coffee filters....lol) I love the way you wrapped the ribbon around the cork - you genius you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Jessi -- much more appropriate for Earth Day if you'd made your flowers from USED coffee filters. :D But then your colour scheme would have been a little different, I suppose...
    Awesome card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may have been stumped at first, but you really nailed this one in the end, Chris! LOVE your coffee filter flowers, and the ribbon wrapped wreath is very creative, too. How fun it is that the ribbon pre-dates your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muahhh ha ha ha I LOVE that you have ribbon older than your marriage. UmmmmKAY - so you totally need to make (and share) a coffee filter flower making tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever and creative Mothers Day design Chris.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow how cool is this!! Those flowers are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading them!

adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.